Thursday 18 April 2013

Contemporary Upholstery, a book too inspiring to keep to myself!

When this book landed on my door step I couldn't quite believe it as upholstery has been something I've been wanting to try for ages. I never quite managed as I'm a bit scared of the enormity
of the task...  but after flicking through the pages of Contemporary Upholstery I think that might all change!

Publisher: JACQUI SMALL
ISBN: 9781906417918


This book by Hannah Stanton is pretty complete and straight forward. You have everything you need to begin your project with confidence; actually it's almost like having your very own tutor standing next to you holding your hand; as this little gem of a book shows you everything you need to upholster from techniques, easy to follow step by step tutorials, advice on choosing and styling fabrics to rescuing and reviving all sorts of furniture.
Hannah Stanton is a graphic designer turned upholsterer. Her lifelong obsessions with design, interiors and traditional craft techniques led her to re-train as an upholsterer and subsequently gain awards in the field. Hannah is currently working on her own collection of furniture exploring new ways of combining materials and techniques.

Hannah Stanton: http://hannahstanton.com/


Another thing I really like about this book is the variety of case studies featuring before and after photos which are perfect as it's so much easier to follow and envisage how things progress from start to finish.




After reading a few pages I started immediately looking around the flat searching for bits of furniture I need to work on... lets just say there are quite a few but Hannah's managed to inspire me to revamp and upholster my old Ikea desk chair. It's looking really tired and tatty so I'm sure that with the aid of this book that I can easily transform it into something beautiful! I think I may ever try to print my own fabric... watch this space!


my chair which I'll be upholstering...photos to come soon!

Contemporary Upholstery
To order Contemporary Upholstery (9781906417918) for £16.00 including p&p* (RRP: £20.00), telephone 01903 828503 and quote offer code JS200
Or send a cheque made payable to: Littlehampton Book Services Mail Order Department, Littlehampton Book Services, PO Box 4264, Worthing, West Sussex BN13 3TG. 
Please quote the offer code JS200 and include your name and address details. *UK ONLY - Please add £2.50 if ordering from overseas.

No comments: