Wednesday 24 November 2010

Knitting & Stitching Show: Harrogate 2010

Goodness, my feet have only just touched the ground again after Dublin and now me and my spotty shoes are heading North! The Craft Guerrilla girls are packing our craft cases for the final Knitting and Stitching Show this year. We will be in Harrogate from Thursday 25th - Sunday 28th November demonstrating upcycling and customising clothes in the swishing salon and teaching various workshops (and plenty of Gok gawping if I know Debbie and Louise).

It is my pleasure to give you a sneaky peak of the designers that we will be showcasing at the exhibition. I'm pretty sure that you can sort out all your Christmas shopping just by visiting these wonderfully talented ladies, leaving you plenty of time to indulge in mince pies and mulled wine for the rest of the festive season!


Joanna Teague














I have always enjoyed making things. all sorts of things. I have always sewn and over the last couple of years my work has developed into small pieces using hand stitching. I use fragments of recycled cloth, pieced together and embroidered over with words and phases. Words and phrases that I want to absorb into me. Recently I have been exploring how I might use my work and so I have started to exhibit these panels with a local art group and with a small solo exhibition. I have also been collaborating with a local Mother and Baby group to explore the language of childcare.



Kandy Diamond: Knit and Destroy













Kandy Diamond from Knit and Destroy makes machine knitted items with a sense of fun. When pushed by Craft Guerrilla for further for information, well, why type it when you can have a little stitched self in a vintage tea cup hold up a typewritten postcard all about you? Genius!























Louise Owens: Love Little
www.lovelittle.co.uk














Because it’s not about the big car, the big wage, and big factories in China. It’s about the little things in life. And so “LoveLittle” was born... During the last 6 months I have developed my style and my printing skills, and I now have a solid collection of hand screen-printed pictures, gift
paper, bags, baby clothes and cards. I am also learning traditional crafts like letterpress and book binding at a local workshop. I am truly passionate about what I do and love creating my quirky, naive and yet beautiful designs that people of all ages can appreciate.



Rowan Grant: KitschenSink








Rowan was born in June 1982, to possibly the least creative two parents in the UK. Both worked full time jobs, so on holidays and mornings before school, Rowan went to Grandma’s. Grandma didn’t like the TV to get hot, so after Saved By The Bell, it was switched off, and the paints, pencils, knitting needles, pins, wool and felt came out. Grandma spent a lot of time showing Rowan how to draw, knit, sew and the like, and it’s all Rowan ever wanted to do with her time from then on (plus catching Pugwall whenever possible!).

KitschenSink Jewellery and Accessories are the result of quality time with Grandma, a fascination of colourful branded toys, and a desire to repurpose mass-produced materials into handmade, wearable fashion treats.




Tania Sneesby














I want to make people smile, to look at my work and feel a connection with the piece, be it a picture, a doll, or a brooch. My creations are playful and fun, I use a variety of new and vintage fabrics, to create beautiful tactile craft pieces. I don’t like to over plan my work, and prefer to start with a simple sketch, and let it evolve naturally, enjoying the flow of extemporizing, letting the fabric determine the outcome. I love the imperfection of working this way, leaving edges raw, and threads loose, emphasizing the hand made care and fragility of the work.

******

Now that I've tantilised your craft-taste-buds I'd better get myself to bed as I've got a train to catch in the morning. Hope to see you there!

Lisa Margreet
x

No comments: